Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inspiration...Barack Obama Style

Few things can match what I witnessed yesterday during endless coverage on the cable news networks. What we saw was history in the making, plain and simple. I look back over time and I remember inspirational moments; the 1980 US hockey teams' victory over the Soviets, Reagans "Tear down this wall"speech, and Scott Howards performance in the championship game of Teen Wolf.


None of that compares though to yesterday when Barack Obama left Washington DC to go to Philadelphia, to take a train back to Washington DC. I had chills. How does this top those other three moments? Well, first the hockey team and Reagan were only going up against the Soviets (it's not like they were the Evil Empire or anything) and Scott Howards team inexplicably had home court advantage in a championship game even though they were blown out by the Dragons earlier that season.

No, yesterday was as pure as snow on Christmas morning. I was left wanting more. I wanted the answers to those "kitchen table issues" that so many Americans are grappling with as we speak. Issues such as, What did Obama eat on the train? Did he like it? Was he able to get his workout in? and Has he decided on a puppy?

When I walked into Katies restaurant this morning for breakfast I didnt have the answers to those questions for the hard working blue collar folks there. When I bumped into a guy in the hair plugs aisle at Home Depot, I couldn't fill him in. Hopefully, the transition team can release the answers to those questions. They have been flawless so far.

This does not take any of the luster off of yesterdays monumental event, however. I was so inspired that I spent all morning searching travelocity so I could book a flight to New York and then take a train back to Boston. Unfortunately, all I could afford was the $10 bus trip that runs out of Chinatown. If I took anything away from yesterday though, it was optimism. So maybe once my stimulus check comes in I can take my own grand journey. I can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. Yea, He was there already so he had to leave so he could come back. what a green thing to do for the planet. (green as in rookie too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hilarious...be the change indeed.

    ReplyDelete