Monday, January 12, 2009

NY Times Republican Of The Week

You might not know it but you are a witness to history. The first ever NY Times Republican of the Week. Read the The Launch post for a description. This first choice was as easy as Sunday morning.




Thats right its Colin Powell. I can’t think of anybody that is more deserving of this award than him. In fact I was very close to naming this category the Colin Powell Republican of the Week. But after a lot of thought and drinking I went with the NY Times. And since this is my blog and I can do pretty much whatever I want the NY Times won out. Now for Colin Powells qualifications for this award. They are truly going to be hard to top.

Lets start with the fact that he is a “moderate” Republican. The Republicans nominated a “moderate” candidate. Is Colin Powell happy with this? Uh, no. He didnt like that Republicans were being mean and nasty. Apparently he didn’t mind this guy. So he endorsed Obama. And he endorsed Obama on Meet the Press. And he endorsed Obama on Meet the Press less than 2 weeks before the election. This guy is good.

Is he satisfied with an Obama victory? No. I’m telling you this guy is a first ballot hall of famer in this category. After the election he goes on CNN and talks to some clown. In this interview he takes on Palin with this great quote:

I think she had something of a polarizing effect when she talked about how small
town values are good. Well, most of us don’t live in small towns. And I was
raised in the South Bronx, and there’s nothing wrong with my value system from
the South Bronx.



The only way that could have been a better quote was if it was leaked to the NY Times anonymously. It was truly brilliant. One problem I have with this quote though. Palin still lives in her small town. Now I dont know where Powell lives right now (damn wikipedia doesnt have it) but Id be willing to bet the reputation of my one day old blog on the fact that Powell doesn’t still live in the South Bronx. My question, and this is a question that will never be asked of Powell is, If the values are so strong in the South Bronx why don’t you still live in that neighborhood or one that is even remotely similar?

Well no need to answer that now Colin because today is a day of celebration for you. Congratulations, you are the NY Times Republican of the week

No comments:

Post a Comment