Friday, May 29, 2009

Miss Conservative of the Week

This weeks Miss Conservative of the Week comes to us by way of South Carolina. In 2004 she was elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives. In 2005 and 2009she was named "Friend of the Taxpayer" by the South Carolina Association of Taxpayers. In 2006 she was awarded the "Palmetto Leadership award" by the South Carolina Policy Council and the "Strom Thurmond Excellence in Public Service and Government Award" by the South Carolina Federation of Republican Women.

She has recently announced her bid to run for Governor of South Carolina. Your Miss Conservative of the Week is Nikki Haley.




Who is your favorite politician (past or present)?

I’m sure I’m supposed to name an American figure here, but whenever Iget asked this question my mind immediately jumps to Margaret Thatcher. Conservative to the bone, incredibly strong, honest and direct, LadyThatcher rose to the pinnacle of political power by being true to theprinciples she believed and outworking everyone else. There’s just somuch to admire – and emulate – in her story.

What issue is most important to you?

As a small businesswoman and accountant by trade – my first job waskeeping the books for our family business when I was 13 – the focus hasto be on spending. One of the things that defines me is I am someone whohas always appreciated and understood the value of a dollar, and that’ssomething all too often lacking in our political leaders. The fact is thatgovernment does a terrible job of taking care of taxpayer money, and as aresult does a terrible job of protecting the wallets of the people and thebottom lines of businesses. Far too many politicians don’t see spendingtax dollars as real money, they don’t understand that when they fund thisor that unnecessary or ineffective program or push us further and furtherinto debt they are doing great damage to the people they have sworn torepresent. Government has to spend less, we have to spend what we do morewisely, and until we do we’re failing to fulfill the most importantresponsibility entrusted to us.

Why did you decide to run for governor?

The most important thing to me is that people understand the power of theirvoice. Politicians work for you – not the other way around. We havegreat challenges in South Carolina but also tremendous opportunities, and Ibelieve with everything I have that the key to tapping into our potentialis bringing good government back to the people. We need to be more openand honest with the way we conduct our business. We need to be betterkeepers of taxpayer dollars. We need to take better care of our smallbusinesses. We need an education system focused on actually improving ourworst in the nation schools and not just throwing money at them. Thebottom line is I know what good government looks like – I’m running forgovernor because I want every South Carolinian to know what it feels like.

Why are you a conservative?

Conservatism has always just made sense to me. Running a small businessyou quickly understand the problems that come with too much governmentintrusion in our lives. Growing up in a small town where everyone tookcare of everyone else, you learn the value of strong families andcommunities. Keeping the books at my parents store from the age of 13drilled into me an appreciation for the value of a dollar. I could go on,but the point is I didn’t come to conservatism in the course of somelarger search for a political philosophy – it’s just the way I’vealways lived my life.


I want to thank Nikki for taking the time to answer these questions. Today, more than ever it seems, we need fiscal conservatives like Nikki Haley in government. For more information on her campaign and how to help you can check out her website NikkiHaley.com

1 comment: